4TB Hard Drive Only Showing 2TB
I bought a 4TB Western Digital hard drive just yesterday, however it only shows up as 1.63TB. Its nearly completely empty, i haven't put any files or anything into it.http://www.tomshardware.com/
We have 3 solutions for this problem according to what situation you are in:
- If this is the data disk, and you haven't stored anything in it. Do as follow:
- Press Windows + R to open Run dialog box, and type "diskmgmt.msc" to run Disk management;
- Right-click on each partition on this disk, and select "Delete Volume…";
- After deleted all partitions on it, right-click on this Disk to choose "Convert to GPT Disk";
- Unallocated space is in the disk now, right-click on it, and click "New Simple Volume" to follow new simple volume wizard and create new partitions.
- If this is the System disk, you can do the conversion in diskpart command prompt in bootable Disc; it's very complicate and time wasting, we do not recommend this one if you don't have a bootable CD; So when Convert to GPT disk option greyed out in Disk Management, you can try the next solution;
- Directly Convert MBR to GPT disk without data loss in GPT Partition Manager Macrorit Disk Partition Expert, click the following bar to free download;
- In GPT partition manager, right-click to select "Convert to GPT";
- Click OK; Click Commit in the main interface and you get a GPT disk;
You can check the screenshot on the right side.