Disk Management Software For Windows Server 2003
Disk management in Windows Server 2003 is used for creating partitions, but when you want to resize partition, for example, to solve low disk space warning, server 2003 disk management is not the best choice, functions related to resize volume don't available in the snap-in tool.
We need to find disk management alternative software to resize server 2003 partition, a secure one can manage server disk without losing data.
Why We Need to Resize Partition
Distribution of disk space doesn't have any standards, most of the distributions are based on experience, resize partition size is needed even for the most experienced server users, because demands of disk space is increasing, not only in internet surfing but also services provided by server. Many it's enough to give certain amount of free space to some drive, but after months, it requires more. Server 2003 disk management, unfortunately, doesn't have the ability to resize any partition without data loss; Windows also stopped supporting Server 2003, that's why we need to hire server partition software to resize Windows 2003 partition.
2 Ways to extend partition on Windows 2003
We can share two ways to extend partition in Windows Server 2003, not in command line or disk management, but in Macrorit Disk partition managing software: Macrorit Disk Partition Expert and Macrorit Partition Extender.
Method 1. Create unallocated space from neighbor partition and extend C Drive
- In Partition Expert, click C Drive's neighbor partition D Drive, or may be other partition in your server system, if it is also running out of space, click one partition with enough free space available for C Drive extending; and then click Resize / Move volume;
- Resize window pops up, how to resize partition then? You might have noticed that there're two rounded circle on both size of this partition, we can use them to resize partition; click on the left one, and drag it to the right, at the same time, unallocated space is created, shows in the mini disk map below the partition in real time, click OK when you think it's enough for C Drive.
- Now unallocated space is loaded in the big disk map, and we click C Drive to resize it, still the same button; in the end, click Commit and extend volume operations will take effect.
(If the entire disk is running on low disk space, each partition shows red bar in file explorer, then try use another empty disk to extend C Drive;)
Method 2. Directly Extend C Drive
Macrorit Partition Extender makes it an easy job to extend volume, there's no need to created unallocated space from other partitions first and then goes to step of extending C Drive, in Partition Extender, here's how to extend C Drive:
- Run Partition Extender, and click C Drive directly;
- Click NEXT to open resize window, drag the right handle to extend;
one drag and we have C Drive extended.
See the full guide with screenshots on extend server C Drive
We actually can do more in Partition Expert and Partition Extender; Partition Expert is designed to be the all-in-one disk managing tool in Windows Client OS and Windows Server OS, not only resize / move volume, the core program of this product, but also other practical functions for better manage disk; Partition Extender, one the other hand, is a small system utilities for All Windows System OS, although we named it as Partition Extender, it is capable of more than it, shrink partition and merge unallocated space /free space are also build in functions.