Macrorit Data Wiper to Wipe Hard Drive
Macrorit Data Wiper contains Wipe entire drive option in the list; also it is able to wipe free space on your hard drive so as to keep your personal data private.
When deleting file in Windows, the system only deletes the reference to this file, not the file itself, even after your emptied recycle bin, the file can still be recovered by third party recovery software.
Hence, considering about data safety before donate or give old PCs to others, it's better to give the computer with clean hard drives in.
How to use Drive Wiper
Situation 1: wipe free space
- In Macrorit Data Wiper, wipe Free Space only, click Free Space only in column 1;
- Click DoD 5220.22-M (3 passes), or other overwrite methods;
- Choose a drive in the disk map, and click Wipe Now;
- Confirm, type wipe, and start.
When wiping free space, data on the hard drive will stay intact, while data in free space will be overwritten to zero / one, zero and one, or other standards from the DoD. If you want to keep system and applications, wiping free space is the best choice for making a clean Windows, giving the condition that this PC was not infected by virus before.
Situation 2: Wipe Hard Drive directly
- In the first window of Data Wiper, Wipe Entire Drive; click Entire Drive in the first column;
- Click one security method from the five listed overwrites methods;
- Click on the disk instead of partition this time; and click Wipe Now;
- Confirm, and Start;
This is to wipe entire hard drive, including Windows system, which means that, you can set the hard drive to factory settings without reboot for a bootable disc again. Directly wipe out everything when system is running Data Wiper. By the way, this Data Wiper has portable edition available.