When Mac OS is running slow, it's better to reinstall the system again instead of carefully cleaning up files; if you want to donate Mac hard drive, or give it to family members using Windows system, you can wipe it and format the hard drive to NTFS or FAT32 in Windows disk manager.
Macrorit Data Wiper is able to wipe Mac Hard Drive with HFS plus file system clean, after wiped in data Wiper, the hard drive can be used without worrying about leakage on old data.
Wipe Mac hard drive and reinstall Mac OS
Before wiping Mac hard drive, it's advised to backup important files. Here're the steps to erase everything and reinstall Mac OS X:
- Restart Mac;
- Press CMD key + R at the same time, and hold them for a while when the gray window shows up options;
- Click on "Disk Utility", and click "Continue";
- Choose the disk listed on the left side, and click "Erase" Tab;
- If you're going to reinstall Mac OS, just leave the settings as default, and click "Erase" to continue;
- After erased, click Reinstall OS X, for example, to continue.
Now we have this OS reinstalled, it runs smooth as it were. Everything on the disk has been wiped, it's a clean Mac now, and it's safe to donate or share it with others.
Wipe Mac Hard Drive in Windows
What if Mac won't boot, CMD+R can't work either? There's another way to wipe Mac hard drive clean and factory setting it in Windows system, not to format or delete volume in Windows Disk Management, but wipe this disk in third party disk manager, Macrorit Data Wiper.
Steps to wipe Mac Hard Drive in Macrorit Data Wiper
- Plug in this hard drive, and boot Windows;
- Run Macrorit Data Wiper (Click here to download portable edition);
- In the main window, the Mac hard drive is loaded into the disk map, we first click "Entire Drive", and select on overwrite method from the five available security list; click "Wipe Now";
- Confirm and type "wipe" in the dialog box, and click "start" to wipe.
Format HFS plus to FAT32 or NTFS
Mac Hard Drive's file system is HFS plus in the recent released OS, which cannot be recognized by Windows, so we need to format this disk after wiped in Data Wiper to make is useful in Windows 10. Since the disk is now clean, no file system, no EFI partition in it, its factory settings, so we need to initialize this disk and create partition on it.
HFS plus is also known as HFS +, HFS Extended, Mac OS Extended, is a file system developed by Apple Inc., not apply to Windows OS.
Steps to format Mac Hard Drive to NTFS or FAT32 in Windows 10:
- Download Macrorit Partition Expert install package or Portable package;
- Install it and Run, or run it from portable edition zip file without installation;
- Right-click on Mac Hard Drive (now it's clean), and select "Initialize" to continue;
- Choose Partitioning scheme from MBR or GPT; and click OK;
- Now this disk turns into unallocated space, click on it, and "Create Volume";
- Choose NTFS or FAT32 in file system column, define cluster size, assign drive letter, and give drive label to this volume; and click OK after resize this volume;
In a word, Macrorit Data Wiper is to wipe disk to its original status, factory reset it, you are able to use format it to any file system in any operating system before using.