How to Convert Hard Drive to GPT
With the arrival of the New Year, big sales are on in many software and hardware store. Hard Disk Manufacturers give great discount on their hard drives too, especially for large capacity ones, you can now get hard disk over 2TB size in a reasonable price. And problems come when you want to create more partition on the new disk: Disk management New Simple volume greyed out in MBR Disk, how to solve this?
As you may have known that MBR Disk supports up to 4 primary partitions at most in the area within 2TB hard drive capacity, beyond which you cannot create more partition, neither will Disk Management recognize the free space rested, which shows as "unallocated space" at the end of disk. We cannot use this unallocated space unless we convert the disk to GPT.
Convert Hard Drive to GPT without losing Data
Since we already have 4 primary partitions, we don't want to format this disk and repartition again, because backup files takes more time than partitioning, besides, you have to restore them after new partition created, Why don't we just convert MBR to GPT disk while data in the disk stay intact?
Macrorit Partition Expert Convert MBR to GPT without data loss.
- Download Partition Expert from download page, we recommend to download the portable edition, which can directly run without installation to the system;
- Open it and check the disk map in the main interface and right-click on the partition you want to convert;
- Click Convert to GPT Disk from the menu and confirm this order when dialog message shows;
- Click Commit in the first window and Partition Expert will Change the MBR disk to GPT disk while data in the disk kept as before.
- Published in GPT MBR Resources