What is Computer cluster?
A computer cluster consists of a set of loosely or tightly connected computers that work together so that, in many respects, they can be viewed as a single system. Unlike grid computers, computer clusters have each node set to perform the same task, controlled and scheduled by software. Wikipedia
512b cluster is the old generation standard, now 4k cluster is common, 64k cluster is for big file storage like game, 3D movie, HD photo. Games like warcraft, overwatch, install package are big, large cluster size like 64k will significantly improve game performance.
#1, Change cluster size in Windows File Explorer
Format Partition to Change Cluster Size:There are two ways to format partition and change cluster size: Windows Explorer and command prompt diskpart
#2, Change cluster size in command prompt diskpart
- 1. Type cmd in Start menu, run command prompt as administrator, and type the follow command in order
- 2. diskpart
- 3. list disk
- 4. select disk 2
- 5. list partition
- 6. select partition 2
- 7. format fs=ntfs quick unit=64k
- 8. exit
#3, Format Partition to change cluster size in Partition Expert
In Partition Expert, there are two ways to change cluster size:
format partition and create new partition to change cluster size
- 1. Run Partition Expert,
click on the Partition you want to change cluster size
and Choose Format Volume ;
- 2. Select 64k in Cluster size column
> select Quick Format, (or just leave it as default setting)
- 3. Click OKto colose this format window,
and in the main interface, we click Commit
so that we can have a 64K cluster sized partition.
#4, Create Partition to define cluster size in Partition Expert
Create Partition in Partition Expert is another way of making 64k cluster size, when you have a new disk installed, disk space is unallocated, you can create partition and define cluster size as 64k at the same time.
- 1. Run Partition Expert, click on unallocated space and clcik Create Volume
- 2. In the popup window, define Volume Label, assign drive letter; define file system; choose cluster size; define volume type
- 3. Click OK, > Commit.
- Adding Unallocated Space to Server Existing System Partition
- Resize Partition for Windows Server 2008
- Resize Partition for Windows Server 2003 Guide
- Move Free Space from One to Another
- Extend/Increase System C Partition Size for Windows 10 and Server