How to Format or Wipe SD Card
SD cards or Micro SD cards can be used for Camera and smart android phones storage, but when SD card is write protected or hasn't complete format successfully, devices cannot recognize it. How to fix such issues on unusable SD cards? We'll try SD card format software Partition Expert today.
Format is the essential step before using SD card, 'cause we have to write file system in it, FAT32, NTFS or exFAT, so that system of the computer or in other equipment can recognize and read-write data in. Partition Expert is able to format disc to FAT32 and NTFS, let's proceed,
How to format Lexar Jumpdrive in disk managing software
- 1. Download this portable disk managing software from here:
- 2. Run it and insert the SD card, reload disk map; right-click on it and select Format Volume;
- 3. Choose file system to FAT32 or NTFS; Select cluster size from 512b to 64k, 4K is recommend for large capacity SD cards;
- 4. Leave Quick Format as checked;
- 5. Click OK to close this format window and Click Commit to format;
The screenshot we use here is from Windows 10; of course you can run this SD card format app in Windows 7 or even run it in Windows Server system, Partition Expert will perform perfect in all Windows system both in 32-bit edition and 64-bit edition;
Format is the preparation of using SD card, but some users just want to format SD card for another purpose: delete everything on the portable media, because this card may have malware traces or just because there're some sensitive info cannot be recovered by others. I'm sorry to say, format is not the proper solution for erase data clean, but we do have alternatives.
Wipe SD Card clean in Data Wiper
Data Wiper is the alternative solution on cleaning SD card, which provides 5 overwrite methods to wipe data in SD card clean; now, we'll see how it works on portable device.
- 1. Download portable Data Wiper from here: http://disk-tool.com/download/mwiper/mwiper-free-portable.zip
- 2. Unzip it and directly run the program without installing it to the system;
- 3. Insert SD card and reload disk map, SD card is listed at the end of the map;
- 4. Click on it and check Wipe Entire Drive, and check one wiping method; Click Wipe Now;
- 5. Use the keyword "Wipe" to confirm wiping and click Start;
NOTICE: Wipe entire drive will erase everything in it, including file system, which means the SD card cannot be recognized again by any system. It's RAW disk and can only be used after initialized;
Or, Click Wipe free Space and SD card can be used again as a clean one.